HR Connection

When Does An Employee's I-9 Form Need Updating?

Posted by Strategic Human Resources, Inc. on Jul 6, 2017 11:22:08 AM



I have an employee who was recently married and changed her name.  Does she need to complete a new I-9 form with her new name?


When an employee changes their name (legally) employers are not required to complete a new I-9 form.  The US Citizenship and Immigration Services recommends that employers note the name change in Section 3 of the form.  To make sure your records are in order, here are the points to consider:

  • It is not necessary to document the new forms of identification; but, most employers, for payroll purposes (not for the I-9 form), will require a copy of the new social security card.

  • It is important for employers to make sure payments are made to the legal name on an individual’s social security card to ensure their W-2 is correct and there are no mismatches.

  • For purposes of the I-9 form, an employer must make a reasonable attempt to ensure the name change is appropriate by requesting a copy of a marriage license or a divorce decree or even a letter from the employee’s religious representative if necessary.

If you have more questions concerning I-9 forms, visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Employers Handbook for completing Form I-9.

Strategic Human Resources Inc., is a national full-service HR management firm based in Cincinnati, Ohio. Our president and founder, Robin Throckmorton, can be reached at

Copyright © 2017 Mamu Media, LLC All Rights Reserved

Need help with the new I-9 form? Click here

Download HR Insights Magazine

Topics: Human Resources Insights, I-9

Subscribe to our Blogs!